If like me you once dreamed of being a professional footballer, or soccer player for those of you in the US, but didn’t quite have the skill and athleticism required to play at the highest level then perhaps you should consider a different career in football.
There is no doubt that football has become a multi-billion pound global industry in recent times and plenty of people have got very rich working as agents, executives, marketing support, media relations experts and representatives of governing bodies such as FIFA and UEFA.
Here at Global MBA report we recently looked at Specialist MBA Programs in our feature article and you don’t get more specialist than an MBA in football!
The Liverpool Management School at the University of Liverpool, UK offers a Football Industries MBA Program aimed at those wishing to pursue a career in the following:
- Football club general management and administration
- Governing bodies e.g. FIFA & UEFA
- Marketing support companies
- Sponsorship companies
- Media relations
It is quite appropriate that this postgraduate diploma is offered in the city of Liverpool, UK with it’s rich footballing tradition and fanatical fans of both Liverpool FC and Everton FC. Liverpool FC in particular is considered one of the premier teams in European football and dominated the English and European competitions during the 80′s.
The Football Industries MBA Program contains the following 3 core modules:
- disciplines essential to management
- specialised professional development through a series of taught modules
- a project/dissertation including independent research
The Football Industries MBA Program at Liverpool Management School is able to call upon an extensive range of contacts with football clubs, media organisations, financial institutions, organising bodies and other related companies, mainly in the UK but also abroad, offering students excellent practical experience and future career opportunities.
The Football Industries MBA Program lasts 1 year full-time or 2 years part-time and contains 7 compulsory modules plus electives, followed by a summer research project carried out after completion of the second semester.
Football Industries MBA Program Compulsory Modules
- Managing Financial Resources
- Managing the Environment
- Managing People
- International Football Industry
- Managing Change
- Football and the Law
- Football and Finance
- Football and the Media
- Football Marketing and Sponsorship
- 2:1 honours degree in any subject from UK University or equivalent from non-uk institution
- Non-graduates with extensive relevant experience or other qualifications are considered
- Preferably a minimum of 3 years relevant industry experience
- International students must demonstrate a minimum standard of English e.g. TOEFL
- FIFA Marketing
- The Football Association (FA)
- Football League,
- The Football Association of Wales
- The Chinese Football Association
- The Swiss Football Association
- Several top English clubs (including Arsenal, Everton, Fulham, Leeds United and Liverpool)
- Clubs in Brazil, China, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Scotland, Sweden and Turkey
- The Norwegian Ministry of Sport
- Media and marketing companies such as IMG, Octagon, Sport Five, Zone Marketing
- The Financial Times
- Deloitte & Touche